BEAVER RIDGE LODGE #366
F & AM

PAGE 3

A BRIEF HISTORY OF FREEMASONRY &
THE ORGANIZATION OF BEAVER RIDGE LODGE
The history of a subordinate lodge would not be complete without a brief synopsis of the history of Freemasonry and the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons of the State of Tennessee. Although past masonic scholars and historians cannot trace the beginning of Freemasonry to its origin, they generally agreed that it probably began 6000 to 8000 years ago. A good rule of thumb and one most generally used today, to date the beginning of masonry is to add 4000 years to the present calendar year.  It is also generally agreed that its origin was the result of a study of astronomy which led to geometry, which in turn gave rise to architecture.  From a knowledge of geometry coupled with architecture the art of building arose. From this came what we now refer to as operative masonry. Those ancient builders or masons are given credit for some of the most beautiful churches, cathedrals and other buildings of antiquity.   In the year of 1717, four lodges in London, England joined together to form a Grand Lodge of England.  Dr. James Anderson, who probably lived between 1680 and 1739, withe other learned men, was commissioned to write the Constitution and Rituals of Freemasonry.  This task was completed in the year 1723 on December 27, with some revisions being made in 1738.  From this beginning lodges were chartered through out the world.  Since these brethren were not engaged in the art of building buildings as their ancient brethren had been, but instead designed a system using the working tools and other symbols of the ancient craft to build better men it became speculative masonry.  Members of today and in the future will be asking the same questions as  those of past
generations: "What is Freemasonry?"  There are almost as many answers as there are members. The one we like most is, "Freemasonry is a beautiful system of morality veiled in allegory and illustrated by symbols."

Masonry came to this country with our founding fathers and had a profound effect on the form of government we enjoy today.  In the early history of Tennessee masonry some lodges were chartered by adjoining sister Grand Lodges.  However, the charter forming the Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons of Tennessee was issued by the state of North Carolina in 1813 on December 27.  The first lodge in Tennessee chartered by the Grand Lodge of North Carolina was Santana Lodge at Nashville.  This lodge was later known as Harmony Lodge #1.  It first had a North Carolina number but after the formation of the Grand Lodge of Tennessee it was given the number one position a being first organized in Tennessee.  several of the leaders in the early development of Tennessee belonged to this lodge including Andrew Jackson.  This Lodge #1 functioned for only a shot period and expired before the formation of the Grand Lodge of Tennessee.  The Lodge #1 at Nashville became defunct on December 9, 1809.  The Tennessee Lodge #2 originated at Knoxville and was originally carried as #41 on the roll of the Grand Lodge of North Carolina.  Later it became known as Tennessee Lodge #2, Grand Lodge of North Carolina dated March 24, 1800 under North Carolina #41.  It is interesting to note the the first meeting of the lodge was held in an assembly room at Love's Tavern on Front Street in the city of Knoxville. Andrew Jackson was present in Tennessee Lodge #2 as a visitor from Harmony Lodge #1 at Nashville.  Tennessee Lodge was still working under dispensation it received January 15, 1800.  It was chartered November 30, 1800.  Knoxville was the largest populated town in Tennessee at this time, the State having been created just a few years prior to the formation of this lodge.  The population of Knoxville was approximately 200.  The first Master of Tennessee Lodge #2 was John Sevier, one of the leading figures in early Tennessee history. Brother Sevier had been Governor of the State of Franklin and was the first Governor of Tennessee. Two other leading figures in the history of Knoxville were James Grant, Senior Warden and George W. Campbell, Junior Warden, who represented Tennessee Lodge #2 at North Carolina when the charter was granted.  Tennessee Lodge #2 was never again represented in the Grand Lodge after the first quarterly communication.  This Lodge did not attempt to secure a new charter in Tennessee and ignored all notices.  On October 3, 1826, according to the records of the Grand Secretary it was resolved that jewels and furniture of Tennessee Lodge #2 which worked in the town of Knoxville but has been discontinued, the same are hereby transferred to Mr. Libanus Lodge #59.


From 1803 to 1813 the Grand Lodge of North Carolina operated as the Grand Lodge of North Carolina and Tennessee. Hiram Lodge #7 at Franklin, Tennessee proposed in a resolution the organization of the Grand lodge of Tennessee.  The proposal was that a convention of ancient Masons be held at Knoxville on the first Monday in December 1811 for the purpose of establishing a Grand Lodge of Tennessee.  George Wilson and William Kelly were delegated from Tennessee Lodge #2 to this convention held December 2, 1811. A copy of the proceedings of this convention together with a formal petition to the Grand Lodge of North Carolina were sent to Right Worshipful Brother Robert Williams, deputy Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of North Carolina,   At the annual communication of the Grand Lodge of North Carolina and Tennessee convened at Raleigh November 21, 1812, the petition was presented and a committee was appointed to consider this matter and report at the annual communication of December 5, 1812.  The committee reported favorably .  A convention was held in Knoxville on December 27, 1913, to constitute the Grand Lodge of Tennessee.  The Lodges taking part in this convention were: Tennessee Lodge #2 of Knoxville, formerly North Carolina #41; Greeneville Lodge #3, Greeneville, formerly North Carolina Lodge #43; Newport Lodge #4 at Newport, formerly North Carolina #50; Overton Lodge #5, Rogersville, formerly North Carolina #51; King Solomon Lodge #6 of Gallatin, formerly North Carolina Lodge #52; Hiram Lodge #7, Franklin, formerly North Carolina #55; Cumberland Lodge #8, Nashville, formerly North Carolina #60.  As originally constituted, it was provided that the Grand Lodge should meet each year at the same place the Legislature of Tennessee met.  The Legislature of Tennessee met in Knoxville most of the time for approximately three years thereafter.  For some reason or another the Grand Lodge always managed to hold its meetings at Nashville.  Only the first meeting was ever held at Knoxville.  This was not in a sense a meeting at Knoxville. this was not in a sense a meeting of the Grand Lodge since it was a one-day meeting in the form of a celebration and no regular business was conducted.


A few years after the formation of the Tennessee Grand Lodge there was a movement started to organize a separate Grand Lodge for East Tennessee. On two occasions this matter was brought up in the Grand Lodge.  The reason given being that the Lodges of Wast Tennessee found it almost impossible to journey to Nashville for meetings of the Grand Lodge. They felt that the Grand Lodge was not interested in East Tennessee and that the functions of the Grand Lodge being so far removed did not benefit East Tennessee. It is also interesting to note that for the first 55 years of the existence of our Grand Lodge not a single Grand Master was elected from what is now known as East Tennessee Lodges.


The records of the Grand Lodge do not reveal that there was a Masonic Lodge at Knoxville between the years 1816 and 1826.  Mt. Libanus Lodge at Knoxville was chartered at the annual communication October 3, 1826.  The Lodge met in the first Knox County Court House with Willliam B. Reece serving as Worshipful Master. This Lodge obtained charter #59 from The Grand Lodge of Tennessee.  Mt. Libanus continued to be active until something=me in 1833.  No further report was made to the Grand Lodge until sometime in 1844 when it became active for a short time. Mt. Libanus continued in existence although inactive until the close of the Civil War.  The charter was arrested on October 10, 1867.  the same day a dispensation was issued for the formation of BEAVER RIDGE LODGE #366.  Incidentally, John Coffey Chile, a member of Mt. Libanus Lodge #59 was a charter member of BEAVER RIDGE LODGE #366.  From this beginning the Masonic fraternity has grown in the State of Tennessee to a present number of 389 lodges comprising a total membership for the State of approximately 97,000 members.


So that we may have a better understanding of the hardships under which the founding fathers of BEAVER RIDGE LODGE #366 worked, let's for a moment review the conditions that existed at the end of the Civil War.  This was primarily an agricultural area with no roads as we know them today. The only means of transportation available was by foot, horseback, wagon or buggy.  With a rail line in the community that could and did furnish transportation to distant points the problem of cobering great distances was very difficult.  Being primarily an agricultural area, income in terms of dollars and cents was probably very low.  In some cases income was no more than $100 per year per family.  The business of the area was basically a barter system.  Farm products were traded for labor and for goods needed from the local merchants.


BEAVER RIDGE LODGE ORGANIZED

On August 14,1867, at a regular communication of Choto Lodge #253 located at Concord in the County of Knox, State of Tennessee, the following brethren requested of Choto Lodge permission to petitiion the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Tennessee for a charter to organize BEAVER RIDGE LODGE.  The brethren making the request are as follows: J.R. McCallum, Choto Lodge #253, Concord; M.A. Rule, Masters Lodge #244, Knoxville; Daniel Carpenter, Masters Lodge #244, Knoxville, James A. Moore, Masters Lodge #244, Knoxville; Samuel Tillery, Masters Lodge #244, Knoxville; J.b. Morris, Choto Lodge #253, Concord: and John C. Chile, Mt Libanus Lodge #59, Knoxville.

Choto Lodge #253 of Concord recommender to the Grand Lodge that a charter be granted to Beaver Ridge Lodge.  This was signed my W.F. Smith, Worshipful Master and John M. Boyd, Secretary, with a additional note at the bottom of the petition referring the Grand Master to the Worshipful Master of Masters Lodge #244, Knoxville, Tennessee.  Although the records of Masters Lodge were destroyed by fire on March 10, 1869 it is obvious that Masters Lodge concurred with Choto, Grand Lodge since two Lodges from the county or nearest to the Lodge requesting a charter had to give their consent.  For the consent of Masters Lodge and Choto Lodge we as members of BEAVER RIDGE LODGE are forever grateful.  Joseph M. Anderson, the Most Worshipful Grand Master saw fit to issue a dispensation on October 10, 1867.  A copy of said dispensation with his signature and the Right Worshipful Grand Secretary, Master followed the recommendations of the requesting petitioners and appointed David K. Young, First Master; Thomas Collier, First Senior Warden; and Samuel D. Leinart, First Junior Warden.


MEETING PLACES

The records are silent and in some cases are not complete because of lost pages from the early minutes.  It would seem that the Lodge had rented the upper story of a building at Ball Camp near, at that time, what was called Brick Chapel and later became the Ball Camp Baptist Church.  Although there is no date, month or year, the first work performed by members of BEAVER RIDGE LODGE was the conferring of the higher degrees on J.D. McCallum, Callaway Morris and B.W. Cross, all EA Masons of Choto Lodge. Choto Lodge granted the privilege to BEAVER RIDGE LODGE of conferring the Fellowcraft Degree on the three above names Brothers.  At a subsequent meeting, again no dates given, on motion a committee was appointed consisting of W.M. Carson, Thomas Collier and J.A. Hackney to confer with M.J. Childress, the present communication and see upon what terms the building could be purchased.  On motion the above named committee was instructed to give Mr. Childress $650 for the house if Callaway Morris would bind himself to give $350 for the lower story of the building and to report the results of the conference with Childress at the next regular communication.  Motion to postpone this action until the next regular meeting lost by vote of the Lodge. At this time BEAVER RIDGE LODGE was holding its stated monthly communication on Friday on or before the first full moon in the month.  This, no doubt, was to provide them with sufficient light, especially on clear nights to travel to and from the Lodge by foot, horseback, or buggy,  During this period this seemed to be the most likely for the same reason.  February 7, 1868, the following brethren were listed as visitors: Joseph Forster and J.W. Collier of Masters Lodge #244, Knoxville; William T. Smith, J.B. Cross and w.r. Gilbert of Choto Lodge #253; S>W> Hilton of Unit Lodge #95 of Georgia; W.M. Carson of Morristown, Lodge #231; and J.W. Fields and Thomas P. Cobb both affiliated.  At this same meeting on motion the committee appointed, sometime prior to this meeting, to fit up the lodge room and procure jewels, was allowed one more month time.

The first meeting of the Lodge was December 7, 1867.  The record is silent as to location.  Also, the record is silent between issuance of the dispensation on October 10,1867 and the above meeting date.  We assume it was because David K. Young, First Master, being a Circuit Judge, was performing his duties as such and could not meet sooner.


At this first meeting the following Brethren and offices were present:


David K. Young-First Master

Thomas Collier-First Senior Warden
Samuel D. Leinart-First Junior Warden
Daniel Carpenter-appointed-First Treasurer
James A. McCallum-appointed-First Secretary
Samuel Tillery-appointed-First Senior Deacon
J.A. Hackney-appointed-First Junior Deacon
M.A. Rule-appointed First Tyler
J.B. Morris-appointed-First Stewards
J.a. Moore-appointed-First Stewards

Rev. W. M. Carson of Morristown Lodge #231 requested to act as Chaplin.  Other visitors present were: W.T. Smith of Choto Lidge #253; J.W. Collier, W.D. Samon and C.W. Cross of Masters Lodge #244.


The dispensation granting the power to open and hold a regular Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons was read by the Secretary.   The Worshipful Master appointed Daniel Carpenter, W.C. Carson and J.A. Hackney a committee to immediately investigate the matter of procuring Jewels and preparing a Lodge room.  The committee, after a brief consultation, reported that twenty-five dollars would be a suffieient sum for that purpose.  This report was recorded and the committee discharged.  The following brothers immediately loaned the Lodge five dollars each to enable the Lodge to comply with the request of the above committee: Daniel Carpenter, J.B. Morris, and D.K. Young. (These three brothers are listed as having loaned the Lodge five dollars each.  Of course, this does not add up. Something is missing.)


Thomas Collier, J.B. Morris, J.A. Hackney were appointed a committee by the Worshipful Master with instructions to take charge of said money and procure Jewels and prepare a Lodge room.  Daniel Carpenter, W.C. Carson and J.R. McCallum were appointed a committee on By-laws for the government of the Lodge.


On motion Ball Camp, which is situated in a gap of Beaver Ridge and which has a large and suitable room for a Lodge Room,  was agreed on as the place where this Lodge shall hold its future communications.


On motion Friday evening on or before each full moon was set apart for the time of holding the stated communications of this Lodge.


On motion the fees for conferring the three first degrees of Masonry (Entered Apprentice, Fellowcraft and Master Mason) was fixed at twenty-five dollars.  So arranged that the entering fee be twelve dollars, the passing fee eight dollars and the raising fee five dollars.


The Lodge, having no other business, was closed in due and anciant form, peace and harmony prevailing.


J.R. McCullum

Secretary

D.K. Young

Worshipful Master

(The above was taken from records of the Grand Lodge in Nashville, November 20, 1978 by Frank Herron and Leon Broadwater.)


Also at this meeting the committee appointed to confer with Mr. M.J. Childress about the purchase of the present meeting place, reported they had purchased the property as instructed and Calloway Morris had purchased from them the lower story of the building for $350 and that they had recorded the deeds for the same at the Knox County Court House in Knoxville, Tennessee.


The deed transferring the property from Mr. M.J. Childress to Calloway Morris and W.M. Carson, J.B. Morris, J.R. McCallum, Thomas Collier, J.A. Hackney, Joseph B. Cross, the latter six representing Beaver Ridge Lodge #366, was made and recorded on the 20th day of January, 1868.  (A copy of said deed as taken from the records of Knox County Court House in Knoxville, Tennessee, is a part of theis work.  Also, keep in mind that the dispensation for the Lodge to begin operation as a Lodge was issued October 10, 1867, only four months before the property was purchase. The record does not show how the purchase price for the Lodge portion of the building was paid.  The deed indicates Brother Morris paid for the building and the Lodge paid him.  Subsequent meeting may shed some light on this subject.  If so, it will be found in the section dealing with Facts and Events of Beaver Ridge Lodge.


SECOND MEETING PLACE

A deed dated 4th day of January, 1869, by and between Samuel D. Leinart of the County of Knox, State of Tennessee, of the first part and Daniel A. Carpenter, Samuel D. Leinart, M.A. Rule, A.R. Trotter, J.M. Roberts, John Chumley, Elijah Dunn, William Roberts and David Bird of the County of Knox, State of Tennessee, Trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church and Masonic Hall of Beaver Ridge, parties of the second part, witnesseth that the said Samuel D. Leinart for and in consideration of the sum of one dollar the property herein described for use as a church for the divine working of Almighty God and the Masonic Fraternity of Beaver Ridge Lodge #366 (of) Free and Accepted Masons, subject to the following: No timber shall be cut except those tress which are dead or dying, the conveyor maintains a right-of-way two poles wide through the property and when said property is abandoned by the church and Beaver Ridge Lodge said property reverts back to the donor.  (A description of the property lines, etc. contained in the deed copy of said deed being a part of this work.)

This deed was recorded at the Knox County, Tennessee Court House on the 12th day of March, 1869, at 2 1/2 o'clock p.m. (Wm. Rule, clerk.).


Although the records of Beaver Ridge Lodge are silent as to who was in charge of supervising the building program before and during construction, some information, second and third hand as well as some written material found in the Secretary's Office of Beaver Ridge Methodist Church, shed some light on the subject and is as follows:)

 
(For some years recently some people thought the old brick Lodge and Methodist Church building at the corner of Emory and Copper Ridge Road served as a meeting place for all churches in the area.  This was true for another building built several years before the brick building used by the Lodge and Methodist Church was built.  According to information from the Beaver Ridge Methodist Church office, on April 21, 1815, on a little hill in a grove of trees near Beaver Creek, Mr. Thomas Reed deeded to a Mr. John Scott and Mr. David Hall, deacons of the Beaver Ridge Baptist Church, one acre and twenty poles for the purpose of a free meeting house and graveyard.  The following exception being that the Baptist Church will have the preference of meeting the fourth Saturday and Sunday in every month, this being their regular meeting days.  All other days to be free for all Christian denominations to hold their meeting according to their form of worship.  The graveyard to be free for all persons.  This church building was made of popular logs cut in the area, and after being hewed to be places in the building were 35 inches in diameter.  So far as is known, this was the first church in this section of Knox County.  Conditions changed and the Baptist Church sought a new location and left the Methodist in charge; the Methodist having been organized about 1830.)

The contruction of the Lodge and Methodist Church building probably was not begun until after Samuel D. Leinart deeded the property to both organizations on January 4, 1869.  According to Mrs. Dessie Callaway Ghormley, the granddaughter of Brother Leinart, the brick for the building was made from clay ground just north of the building and some slaves, who remained on the place after the Civil War, helped make the brick.  Also, most likely, men from the Church and Lodge, as well as members of the community, helped with the construction.  Again from the records of the Beaver Ridge Methodist a Mr. Dunn was paid $.50 per day for his labors which was considered to be very good pay for those days.

The first meeting by Beaver Ridge Lodge in the new brick building on Emory and Copper Ridge Roads was May 17, 1872.  The Methodist Church moved to their present location in 1900 after erecting a white frame building on property given the Church by the Amos Trotter Family.  The Lodge continued to meet in this building until November 16, 1963.  (See section on Events and Facts for more information leading to this move.)

THIRD MEETING PLACE

The second home of Beaver Ridge Lodge served the purpose for 91 years; although in the later years, parking became a major problem, as did the building, especially when we had a large number of people for any event.  In fact, we were fearful of the floor collapsing under the weight.  Wasps became a problem, the attic was filled with them and they were able to get through the ceiling into the Lodge room, not only in warm weather but in the winter months, when we were able to get the building warm.

These conditions were instrumental in bringing about the discussion for building a new Lodge somewhere in the community.  These discussions continued for some time.  Some of our older members did not want to move from the old home they had become so accustomed to and, of course, funds or rather the lack of them, presented a formidable obstacle.  We had, over 82 years -form 1867 to 1959- accumulated about $3000.00

The one thing that really brought about serious discussions and made all realize that a move was impossible to avoid was the condemning of the building as being very unsafe, both from the standpoints of fire and possible collapse.  This word was received from the insurance company.  They would no longer insure the building or be liable for injury if it should collapse.  A State inspector, on receiving this information, contacted Secretary J.H.Hill and after inspecting the building made the decision final that the building was indeed unsafe.  However , he permitted the lodge to meet until a new building could be completed.

A land acquisition committee had been appointed some years before to purchase property on which to build a new Lodge.  After looking at different property in the community a recommendation was made, and the trustees, J.J. Jone, R.H. Pennell and J.B. Hendrix were instructed, by vote of the Lodge, to follow the recommendations of the committee.

On March 14th, 1959, a lot located on the south side of Oak Ridge Highway was purchased from Mr. and Mrs. Millard Ogg for the sum of $3000.00. (The present Lodge location was at one time owned by Loyd Rutherford.)

The Title Insurance Company of Kansas City, Missouri, was selected to run a title check on the property.  They reported no lien is held by anyone on said property.  The deed was drawn and recorded at the Knox County Court House on the 14th day of September, 1959.

This transaction set in motion a fund-raising effort in which all members were to be a part.  A notice was issued to each member asking for a pledge to be used for the construction of a new Lodge building.  This effort brought numerous pledges ranging from five to five hundred dollars.  Building blocks made of paper were sold by members for whatever the donor chose to give. (The first blocks were sold by Joe Nesbitt to Beecher Mayfield.)  Barbegue chicken dinners were also a source of raising revenue.   We would be remiss if we did not include others who helped make the building program a success--members of the Beaver Ridge Chapter, Order of Eastern Star #320, Chapter of Rainbow Girls and Demolay Boys at Beaver Ridge Lodge, as well as, members of the community who were not associated with any masonic organization; also members of other Lodges in the area.  To each of you who gave of your time and money we say thanks.  Space does not permit us to list each one individually and specify your contributions.  For this we are sorry, but again on behalf of our present and future members, thanks to each of you.

At a stated meeting on November 24, 1961, the Lodge voted and set Saturday, March 31, 1962,at 2:00 pm as the date for the ground breaking ceremony.

On this date the ground was broken by one of our oldest members in age and masonic services, M.M. (Macy) Gallaher, who was made a Mason in 1912.   There were several members and some of their families present.  Some visitors from other Lodges were present.  One who made a talk concerning the building program was E. Guy Frizzell, Past Master and member of Bright Hope Lodge #557.

The Karns High School Band was on hand and supplied the music for the festivities which was enjoyed by all.

Prior to the ground breaking a building committee had been appointed consisting of the following: O.P. Rhea, Joe Nesbitt and D.H. Higgins. Later D.H. Higgins.  Later D.R. Gilbert was also appointed a member of this committee.  They were given the power to make contracts and oversee the building program.  They did an excellent job and the results are there for all to see.

After weeks and months of labor by the members of the Lodge, as well as the community, some of the Brethren became weary and sat down to rest and refresh themselves.  This was somewhat disturbing and understandable, but with good leadership and perseverance of some the work continues until the new home was ready for all to enjoy. 

When the building was ready to be occupied the first meeting was held on November 11, 1963, by Beaver Ridge Chapter #320, Order of Eastern Star.

The first Masonic meeting in the building of Beaver Ridge Lodge was on November 16, 1963, with Floyd M. Nichols, the Master, presiding. (See section of Lists of Officers for each year to obtain names of other officers involved on this historic occasion.)

A separate bank account was set up for the building and furnishing of the Lodge.  Charles A. Mills was appointed Treasurer to handle these funds.  On February 4th, 1964, an audit committee was appointed to audit this account and report to the Lodge.  This committee of O.P. Rhea, Joe K. Nesbitt, Floyd Nichols and Fred McPeake did as instructed and they reported as follows: The total expenditures were $27,936.49.  This did not include the cost of the land.  The remainder of this account was returned to the regular Lodge account, and the building and furnishing account was closed.

Of the $27,936.49 spent on the building and furnishings, $10,000.00 was borrowed from Hamilton National of Knoxville.  The Lodge voted on August 28, 1963, to borrow the money and instructed the trustees, J.J. Jones, W.E. Pennell and O.P. Rhea to make the necessary arrangement to borrow and repay the loan.  The money was borrowed at 5% interest to be paid semiannually--each payment to be $1,132.32.  The last payment was made on August 27, 1968. and at our 100th anniversary, celebrated at the Lodge on October 5, 1968, the building committee members, O.P. Rhea, Joe K. Nesbitt, D.R. Gilbert and D.H. Higgins burned the note.

After many days of hardship and unsuccessful search (we were not the first to lood for a building site; see Section on Facts and Events) the prayers, hopes and dreams of many people were successful and had a new home paid for but not yet complete.  As O.P. Rhea said when he nailed the last shingle down on the roof, "Brethren, we now have a roof over our heads."

Some cost for materials and Labor may be of interest, especially to future members.  The cost of laying 8,294 blocks was $1,250.10, plus $21.00 to Mr. Emmert to pour the concrete footing for the building.  There is 8,800 square feet of sheet rock on the Lodge Hall and rooms of the second floor walls and ceiling.  (The dining room ceiling was covered later).  The cost of labor for installing the sheet rock was $220.00 Labor for taping and spackling 8,800 square feet was $357.00.  Labor for concrete finishing on both floors was $440.00.  The carpet and installation cost $2,453.40.  Also, the heating  and air condition system, purchased from Rochat Company, cost $4,365.00 installed.  Seats for the Lodge were purchased from Eastern Seating Company at a cost of $429.00 for 174 seats, the freight for moving the seats was $197.93.  The Eastern Star Chapter #320 of Beaver Ridge furnished the dining room chairs and tables.

There were many hours of labor by our friends and members to build and pay for the building.  Over the years since we moved in, several hours of labor by a number of members have been expended to improve the conditions of the building and property inside and out.  $412.12 was paid to A-1 Fence Company for fence, Yates Painting Company was paid $384.38 to paint the building inside and out, material to strip basement walls for paneling cost $146.46, paneling for both floors cost $902.77, bought from Georgia Pacific, May 1974.  Some improvements were on a contract basis, such as brick outside and the driveway and parking areas.

We are proud owners of one of the finest Masonic Lodges in the area; a credit to the members and the community, and we hope that it will remain so through the ages.                        













































 

Website Builder